POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone going to SIGGRAPH? : Re: Anyone going to SIGGRAPH? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone going to SIGGRAPH?
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 14 Jun 2000 20:32:55
Message: <394825D2.FB9B68E2@mailbag.com>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Is there any room for tourists/hobbyists at such a conference?????

Exhibits Plus category, postmarked on or before June 16 (this coming
Friday): $40 (USD). Details at
http://www.siggraph.org/s2000/registration/categories.html, but there's
plenty of touristy stuff involved at that level.  Hobbyists (I sure
don't make a living at this) who are sufficiently interested may even
consider the Full Conference category, but be prepared for a lot of
math.  I ran into a friend of mine there last year, an artist who didn't
have a very strong math background.  I'm not sure he's going to bother
with Full Conference this year.  He's also not a student any more
(students get a nice price break on actual conference attendance), but
having graduated, he's going to be there looking for work.  Lots of
people interested in finding work as animators show up with demo tapes.
Overall, SIGGRAPH is a lively mix of pimply geek programmers and hip art
scene types (I'm the former, in case you hadn't figured it out).

-Mark Gordon